Thursday, October 13, 2011

We're having....



A boy and a girl!!! So so excited. Obviously we would have been happy no matter what, but we can't pretend we weren't secretly hoping for one of each. Our OB told us yesterday and said all my first trimester screening came back normal. Yay. Then we went in to see our MFM. He confirmed the news, but gave us some not so fantastic news too.
First the great.
-Definitely a girl and a boy :)

-Cervix is nice and closed

-Babies weigh approx. 5 oz. each

-Baby A's heart issue seems to have resolved and looks normal.

-Risk for Downs 1:23,000, risk for Trisomy 18 1:100,000-This was from the b/w...I looked on the computer screen, they didn't actually tell me!
The not so great:
-Baby A has a Choroid Plexus Cyst in her brain, which can be associated with Trisomy 18. BUT she has not other characteristics so far, heart looks great, her hands were nice and open, not clenched. We did the 2nd Tri b/w screening today and go back on the 25th to go over the results and meet with a genetic counselor. Depending on that we would decide on whether or not to do an amnio.
-Baby B has a Velamentous insertion of the umbilical cord. Umm what? Basically the cord goes into the membrane that is separating the two babies and then into the placenta, instead of going straight into the placenta. We'll have to monitor his growth rate and watch it closely. It also means I will have a c-section no matter what (guess no more back and forth on what I wanted). We may have to deliver early if it becomes to dangerous for them in there. I also may be on bed rest sooner than anticipated, but right now I don't have to change a thing. 
Other than that everything looks good. He told me not to worry/stress about anything right now and that he'd be taking care of us and watching them closely. I still cried the way home, the way to work, and at work, but I'm feeling ok about it. It's just not fun to get any less than perfect news. I feel like we already went through 2+ years of crappy news. I was hoping this pregnancy would be the end of that and all would be perfect. My husband still thinks everything is and will be. I do too, but I worry more. I can't help it. It's in my nature, plus I'm a mom! Aren't we supposed to worry?!
Hopefully the next 12 days fly by!

1 comment:

  1. I think it is all wonderful news! My husband's grandmother always said "everything she worried about never came true."

    I have to work on the no worrying too!! So excited you know the gender- I can't wait for my 4d ultrasound next Friday for the gender!!

    congrats!

    ReplyDelete