Wednesday, January 19, 2011

HSG: Good news and bad news

Well it's over. It sucked. It hurt. But it wasn't the worst thing I went though (today and in general).
My blood work came back normal on the hormone levels. That means the PCOS the doctor had suspected has been ruled that out. Yay! The HSG was pretty dang uncomfortable. Anyone who says it's a piece of cake, is a liar! My situation was a little tricky though so it's mainly because of that. The catheter was uncomfortable and the cramping was a little painful, but totally bearable. However, my uterus is SO tilted that the dye just came squirting back out and wouldn't go into the tubes. He tried a few times with no luck so he had to change to a balloon catheter and try again. That worked but hurt like crazy! I even cried out in pain once. Hubby got to go in there with a radiation suit so he immediately grabbed my hand. The rest was more pain, but it got the job done. My tubes are completely clear!! They are unusually long though, but he said that shouldn't matter. My uterus looks good, but he did say its a tiny one. 
Onto the BAD news....I have no immunity to the rubella virus (German measles) in my blood. Ironic considering I was born in Germany and had the measles there when I was younger. 99% of people who have it or get the immunization carry the lifetime immunity. So once again, I am fvcking special. I am the 1% exception. I've had the virus and I still don't carry it in my blood. WTH?! We are running a 2nd blood test to confirm, but I'm sure it will come back the same. I will need to get the vaccine, which means we cannot try to get pregnant for 3 months after. I'm hoping to get it done next week as long as the blood work to confirm comes back that fast. If I were to ignore this and I caught the measles during my pregnancy, our LO could be born deaf, among other disabilities. Chances of that happening aren't super high, but knowing this is obviously not a risk we are willing to take. We both work with children, who could have the virus, so it's just not something we can leave up to chance. 
I am trying to remember all the positives, but right now I am devastated. I have been through so much this last year including an unwanted 6 months of  not being able to try and now I have to do 3 more. Just when I thought we had a plan. All I want to do right now is cry. It's not fair. I'm trying to just focus on our new plan, which is figure out my ovulation (considering we still don't have an answer to the spotting), go back in April to make sure my blood work is normal (immunity-wise), and then do IUI (insemination) in May. 
So far 2011 sucks as well :(

No comments:

Post a Comment