Sunday, April 24, 2011

Myth: If you relax, you will get pregnant

In honor of National Infertility Awareness Week, April 24th-30th.


1 in 8 women and men are diagnosed with infertility. RESOLVE and the infertility community are busting myths and telling truths about the most popular public myths and misconceptions about the disease of infertility and the different ways people build their families.
I hope to bust a couple myths this week.


Myth #1


If you relax, you will get pregnant.


BUSTED: Mr. DF and I began trying to conceive our first child as soon as we got married, throwing out my birth control pills on our honeymoon. I like to think that I relaxed the first six months of trying. After 6 months, I started charting and really paying attention to when we should actively try. After my surgery, when we were allowed to try again (last August), I decided I was going to relax again and see what would happen. I tried to tell myself my body just wasn't ready to carry a child due to it needing the valve replacement. After a couple months of "relaxing", I became impatient again and sought help from an RE. We are now 8 months back at trying, with our second RE (a myth I will bust later this week). It hasn't happened.
Turns out the lack of relaxation isn't the reason for my infertility. My body produces too much estrogen, causing it to ovulate early, when my eggs have not matured enough to fertilize a healthy embryo. I will need fertility medication to get my body to do what it needs to do. No amount of relaxing will get my body to do this. 
From Resolve.org: "The fact is, the vast majority of individuals who have infertility have a medical reason, not a stress-related one. Upwards of 90% of all infertility cases are caused by physical problems."




http://www.resolve.org/infertility101
http://www.resolve.org/takecharge

No comments:

Post a Comment